Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Minus Four and Winning the Insomnia Battle...

Hooray, four pounds lost in two weeks. I know it isn't that much but I'm thrilled regardless...and losing between 1/2-2lbs a week is considered healthy and you stand a better chance at long term weight loss.

Even more importantly than shedding fat over the past couple weeks has been my sleep. I've battled severe insomnia for just over eight years. It started off as slight insomnia but gradually grew worse. I was waking at 2-3 a.m. every morning, one o'clock every now and then, and staying awake.  About mid-day I was extremely tired but couldn't nap so I usually went to bed between 7-8 p.m.

Over the past year, when my insomnia was at it's worst, I became addicted to an online mmorpg game. Although I quit playing when the kids woke up to spend time with them, and my hubby when he's home, I would play between 6-8 hours every morning. Nothing much to do during vampire hours so I took comfort in logging in to the game and skyping with a group of other adults who played. I looked forward to visiting them each and every day. It was a tough decision for me to work on a healthier sleep pattern over playing anymore; the game I've found easy to be away from, it's my gal pals I miss--one an English woman in Holland and the other lives in Australia. Both of them weren't just fun to goof around in game with, we had fun lady talks that had nothing to do with the game. And of course, stories of motherhood entered the equation as well. Once in a while I do manage to get on Skype for girl time with them and we stay in contact via FaceBook as well.

Now for the good news...I actually woke with the sun the other day! I've been sleeping 7 1/2-8 hours a night and go to bed between 9:30-10:00 p.m. I feel normal for the first time in over eight years. As long as I remember to take magnesium for "crazy legs", I'm good to go.  See, at first my insomnia was trying to get to sleep (I have gone to sleep fine for a long time now), then it became not being able to sleep after waking up to pee. I've worked on just going back to bed and if I lie awake for more than 15 minutes I'll get up and read from a book or online.

I think something else that has helped is that I do not have depression caused by stress anymore. The wee morning hour insomnia started a few years ago. Not only were we having marital problems but our now 17yo son was driving me insane with his shit. Everyday it was something with him. I loved him but his behaviors were stressing me out. I would wake at 2 a.m. and be worried sick or wonder what he was going to do today to break my heart. Such early rising eventually became a time of solitude for me, it was my time, it was the time I could have a few hours of peace. An aside, I'd say it was about 6 months in to early morning insomnia that I started playing the online game at such crazy hours.

I'm excited to see where having a normal sleep schedule will take me. I already have more energy during the day, and of course to workout! :-)

Hugs~Sandy

2 comments:

  1. WOW...I'm just as excited for you sleeping through the night as I was when my first child slept throught the night! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be having another severe case of insomnia because it's quiet over here!

    ReplyDelete