Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Heart Healthy Friend's Advice


The other day I spoke with a really good friend of mine who is 40 years old and has the cholesterol levels of a healthy 25 year old–what a great inspiration!
She works out 4-5 times a week, is fit as a fiddle and eats healthy. She also allows herself to eat food she likes from time to time like a Coke, fries, etc. After inquiring more about her healthy lifestyle, I’ve decided that I’ll try to implement a bit of what she does.
I’ll be having one square of dark chocolate a day and a glass of wine at night (unless I treat myself to a Pepsi or Coke). She says that by allowing herself one ‘treat’ a day, that she doesn’t have the urge to splurge on a chocolate bar. She does not ever eat crunchy snacks like chips, cheetos, etc. because she, like me, cannot ‘only eat just a few.’ Lastly, eating every two to three hours, having a salad as a meal (careful not to go over 7 grams of fat on dressing), and getting in 35 grams of fiber a day.
I’m going to try my hardest to incorporate her wisdom.
That said, here is the beginning of today’s food log:
Breakfast- Half a Cantelope
Snack-Banana
Mid-morning meal-Kashi Blueberry Cluster cereal w/1 cup of GV Organic Vanilla Soy Milk
Snack-Orange
Lunch-Big Hearts of Romaine Lettuce with 1 tomato, onions, jalepeno peppers, and 1tbsp of red wine vinegar dressing
Snack-60% Caco Dark Chocolate Square
Dinner-Fat Free Bean Burritos w/onion, lettuce, tomato, jalepenos, 1tbsp of hot salsa, 1tbsp of sour cream, and one large tortilla
One glass of red Pinot wine

No comments:

Post a Comment